Sunday, April 6, 2008

Let's Give a Big Newlywed Welcome to Nick and Ashley Fleury!

I always knew I was going to marry Nick Fleury. Well, sorta…

I look back to almost two years ago... when God first spoke to me. I’ll never forget where I was… I was sitting on my computer at my internship at The Clarion News in Clarion, Pa. It was August 2006. I had just finished college, my internship was ending and I was praying about where I should go, what I should do. I really didn’t want to move back to the Lehigh Valley. I had never much enjoyed it and was ready to move on with my life. But, for some reason, sitting at that computer it just hit me. “Move home, you’ll find your husband there.” I can’t really explain how God talks to me. Its in so many different ways… He gives me answers in scripture I read and He gives me these moments of clarity. That day it was a moment of clarity. I can’t say my immediate answer was “Okay, God! Sounds great.” I was really kind of just put it off as no big deal - that wasn’t really God. So, without anywhere else to go, I moved home.

If I remember correctly it was the first weekend in September of 2007. It was my first Sunday back to Christian Life Community Church after moving home and moving back in with my parents. There hadn’t been anyone at the church my age… just a few older and a few younger. So there’s this guy I see, and he’s my age, and he’s a guy! My ears perked up… I won’t lie. Nothing materialized though.

I started dating someone in November 2006. After a few weeks, it was apparent he wasn’t “the one” God had told me about. However, I had this calm over me. I wasn’t devastated like I had been over the numerous break ups I went thru in college. There was just this feeling. I knew I was going to be a wife. I remember this ex saying to me (and I don’t remember how this came up, I just remember exactly where we were) “So you really think God had a husband for you. That perfect guy that’s just going to show up in your life?” and I said matter-o-factly (and maybe a little arrogantly). “Yup.” An answer as simple as yup. I just knew. His reply, “Well good luck with that.” I didn’t waste my time to reply. I just thought to myself, I don’t need luck. I got God.

Nick and I got acquainted in February of 2007. We went to the same small group Bible study and from there just started hanging out. We were friends first, and while we found each other to be great people and there was attraction, neither of us were convinced that we wanted it to be any more than friendship. Well, God had another plan for us. We started officially dating on April 8, 2007 (on Easter), were engaged on July 3, 2007 (my 23rd birthday) and married on March 1, 2008.

Not a day goes by that I don’t stop and realize how blessed I am. Every time I look at Nick it reminds me of how much God loves me… how much He loves US. Nick and I are blessed beyond belief. I don’t know if anyone can really describe what their relationship with their spouse is like. It just something so special, so personal… kind of like the relationship you have with God. Its just so rewarding to love someone so much. And all the silly things you do together make life so much better… like getting excited about finding the grapefruit flavored Vitamin C drop. And it’s the heavier stuff… having some there to vent to about your personal struggles or if you have a bad day at work. Marriage, when it is ordained by God, is such a rewarding experience.

I think back to other guys I’ve dated, and I dated a lot. I don’t even remember how many boyfriends I had., and that’s mainly because it doesn’t matter anymore. I guess, what I’m getting at, is that if I could give single people any advice… it would be wait. Not only physically, but also emotionally. Bad relationships take so much out of you and leave so many regrets. I guess I always thought that I was “cool” because I had boyfriends and I had guys paying attention to me. Sometimes I have such a hurt in my heart thinking about all the experiences I had with other guys who aren’t my husband. I wish everything would have been new with my husband. That’s the awesome thing about God though. You asked to be forgiven and you are. Man, with all the mistakes I made it dating, if God wasn’t forgiving, He wouldn’t have given me Nick. But I’m human and it still hurts sometimes. I gave too much of my heart to the wrong people. I looked for love and acceptance in so many of the wrong places… and once I found it in the right place (with God), things just turned out.

I’m Mrs. Nicholas Fleury, how freakin’ cool is that?

No comments: